[Blindmath] Accessible display format for matrices

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Wed Nov 16 21:49:10 UTC 2011

I have no problem with the visual appeal of "--" in a blank cell, provided
it can't be misinterpreted as a minus sign for the value in the next cell.
Of course, if it isn't needed, I would just as soon omit it.

By the way, I appreciate that someone pointed out in an earlier post that
the table needs to have a one-pixel (or presumably wider) border to avoid
some kind of a screen reader problem. I will try to remember that.

I also have another question. In an earlier post, I saw that someone had
created a sample table with the word class associated with the row and data
tags. I have probably created and published 500 to 1000 tables with simple
tags similar to the following with no problems for sighted users:

Does the class thing provide information that is useful to a screen reader?

Thanks,
Dick Baldwin