[Blindmath] Working math homework and exams

Paul Wright paulrite at math.umd.edu
Sun Nov 20 03:53:59 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,

Ben:  Thank you for the informative comments.  I enjoyed reading them.

I just wanted to write in with a couple quick thoughts that have been in
my mind for awhile.

First, I made the switch from TeXnic Center to EdSharp several months
ago, and I find it much better for working with LaTeX documents (and
many other things!) using JAWS.  Because EdSharp is much more versatile
as an editor than TeXnic Center, it has a steeper learning curve, but I
think it is definitely worth the extra effort.  For example, my JAWS
would routinely skip over words and phrases while reading through
documents opened in TeXnic Center, and I was constantly having to back
up in order to check on things that I knew should be there.  This does
not seem to be much of a problem with EdSharp.

Second, although I know that calculus is the gateway course into
advanced mathematics at essentially all universities, there are a number
of other advanced mathematics subjects that are probably naturally more
accessible, as they generally involve shorter equations and many fewer
pictures.  In particular, abstract algebra, number theory, and discrete
math come to mind.  Although courses in these subjects require a certain
mathematical maturity, they generally do not require any calculus.Of
course calculus is very important for a number of applications, but, if
you are through it and you still have an appetite for more mathematics,
there are likely a number of courses that you could readily pursue.

Best,

Paul
  Paul Wright
  Department of Mathematics