[Blindmath] Another test of matrix accessibility

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Tue Nov 22 16:52:36 UTC 2011

I haven't looked at the examples.  And I don't know what configuration options JAWS or NVDA may have.  But Window-Eyes has a large number of options regarding how tables are presented to the user.  The most important one, for the earlier examples, is the Smart Table feature, which attempts to determine which tables are being used for layout and which for data.  The Smart Tables mode is on by default.  It tends to hide the fact that some cells have small sub-tables within them, or that the entire document is a large table.  You really can't control how the users will configure their screen readers, but might somewhere give people a hint as to what to expect.

Students using assistive technology of any kind have to be savvy enough to use its features while they learn the course material.  I also thank you for the work you are doing and the example you are setting.

>From another EE, BS Iowa State, 1969.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.