[Blindmath] Some suggestions for Richard Baldwin'sSVGdrawingtool

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Tue Oct 4 22:10:22 UTC 2011

First let me go back and make a comment on inches versus metric. Until I am
able to provide a metric option, it should be possible to enter metric data
just as though it is in inches and correct the final drawing using the Scale
action on the Mod menu. However, I haven't thought this through completely,
so there may be some complications.

Now to the current message.

My todo list already contains an option to duplicate or copy an existing
element.

There is a grouping capability in SVG but so far, SVGDraw does not support
it.

In fact, if you import an svg file from another program, such as an svg
drawing from www.fooplot.com, the program automatically un-groups the file
(or at least attempts to do so) in order to provide access to the individual
elements in the drawing for editing purposes. This seems to me to be an
important capability.

Also, if you save a drawing using SVGDraw and import it later, it comes back
in as a set of individual elementss.

On the other hand, as you mention, there are times when it might be
desirable to purposely group various elements , so I will put that on my
list of things to consider.

In addition to saving drawings and importing them later, it is also possible
to import csv files to create polylines or polygons, or to import path files
written in the SVG path language. In those cases, the drawing element that
is produced, regardless of its complexity, is saved as a single element that
can be rotated, translated, scaled, clipped, deleted, or moved up and down
the drawing stack just like a simple circle or rectangle. The svg path
language can be used to create very complex objects including quadratic and
cubic Bezier curves, elliptical arcs, and circular arcs just to name a few
of its capabilities.

Now to your grayscale question. So far, the SVGDraw program does not support
color (although an advanced user can incorporate color in one of the actions
on the Advanced menu). There were many decisions that I had to make in
developing this program. One of those decisions is that blind users probably
don't care about color, but they may care about grayscale if they have a
Tiger. Therefore, I decided to implement opacity that can also be used to
create grayscale.

I have recently received some interest from sighted people who have
difficulties using a mouse but can use a keyboard. Those people are
interested in color. Therefore, one of the items on my list is to implement
color directly. This in turn will allow for creating totally opaque drawing
elements that are some shade of gray or any of the other 16-million colors
that can be be created using an ARGB color system.

In the interim, you might want to try using the Set Attribute action on the
Advanced menu to set the fill color of an opaque object to one of the colors
defined as a constant in the Java Color Class. (Insofar as the final output
is concerned, you could use any of the color names that SVG recognizes.) I
haven't done a lot of testing there, so I don't know how well it works. I
just did a pink fill with RED at 0.5 opacity, and a gray fille with GRAY at
1.0 opacity, so at least you can do that. Note, however, that I haven't
implemented that capability in my unreleased real-time visual display and
that will be more difficult than implementing it into the final SVG output.
I will have to map SVG color names into Java color names, which may not be
the same.

Thanks for the very valuable feedback.

Dick Baldwin