[Blindmath] SVG Draw

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Oct 7 13:19:48 UTC 2011

Hello,
A few quick pointers on what John was saying and possible answers. I have to say I agree with much of what John says, things are possibly too verbose (either too many confirmation dialogs or too many actions to achieve one task).

Firstly John mentioned about read only text boxes which one could cursor through. Basically this would be a standard text box or edit box where one might type stuff, however the editable property is set to false (IE. the box is read only, but it still has the text cursor). An example of this, NVDA has such a box in the welcome dialog. I am sure there are other examples, probably even some in SWT. I think a Java swing example would be the MathTrax instruction/graph description box.

As for confirmation sounds, I don't think SWT provides such a facility. However if you want to play your own sound then the standard java sound API which is part of the JDK could be used. The advantage of that would be that the sounds will work on any Java platform and not just windows. Personally I would like to see SVGDraw on other platforms (EG. Mac or Linux).

Michael whapples