[Blindmath] Interpretting large drawings with SVG Draw 01

Pranav Lal pranav.lal at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 08:52:19 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Apologies for the cross posting.

I have been trying to look at autocad drawings. This is a potential
job need. One of the things my employer does is to provide security
reccomendations to green field projects. This involves analyzing
architectural drawings in autocad and suggesting things like camera
placement etc. I was curious to see if I could use any technology to
do this.   Importing autocad into SVG Draw is a two step process.
1. You need to convert the drawings to DXF format.

2. You then convert the DXF to SVG.
Note:
There may be a way to export to SVG directly from Autocad but my
colleagues have been unable to find it.

I used the demonstration version of the converter at
http://www.dwg2pdf.biz/ to convert the DXF file to SVG. I then opened
the file in SVG Draw 01.

The file opened without a hitch and I was looking at over 3000 path
statements. How am I supposed to interpret this kind of image? <grin

I can see the entire image using the vOICe but I would need to edit
it. So, can Iveo or the vOICe sonify individual SVG elements? I could
first get an overview of the image and then look at it
element-by-element.

Anyone any ideas?
Note:
Tactile images are not an option since I want to avoid paper.
Moreover, I would need to edit the drawing and paper will not help
there.

Pranav