[Blindmath] JAWS and MathPlayer issue in IE9 RE: MathType and JAWS

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Thu Oct 20 06:28:18 UTC 2011

As far as I can tell, this is not specific to 32 bit or 64 bit versions.  IE
is really a 32 bit app -- even on 64 bit machines you can not make the 64
bit version the default browser.

In trying to figure where the problem is, I believe it is in IE9.  I have
sent email to the IE team and they are looking into it.  It might be that
applications such as JAWS will need to make a different calls to get the
MSAA interface from MathPlayer, but I haven't heard back from the IE team
yet as to how to work around the problem.  The problem affects XHTML and
HTML5 pages and MathPlayer 3.  It does not affect XHTML pages and MathPlayer
2 because MathPlayer 2 rewrites the pages into HTML4.  MathPlayer 3 defers
XHTML rendering to IE9's built-in XHTML support (not present in previous
versions of IE).  I suppose as a worst case scenario, we'll turn the XHTML
into HTML4 for MathPlayer 3.  I'm not keen on that because our conversion is
far from perfect.

I've have not contacted most AT vendors yet including JAWS because I don't
have a work around to suggest to them.  Hopefully I'll hear from the IE team
soon about a solution.

Thank you very much for contacting Freedom Scientific.  Hearing from users
like yourself is what gets them to take action.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~