[Blindmath] Question about Minitab

Icewolf icewolf2011 at gtwebdesign.us
Tue Oct 25 23:45:07 UTC 2011

Hello,
So it looks like I need to use it in terminal mode, which is what that
shortcut points to?  Also, I am using it on an I7 quad core 64bit
machine.  Should I use the 32bit or the 64bit version?  It looks like
the installer installs both.  the F.A.Q. said there was advantages and
disadvantages for both versions.
thanks,
greg W.

Yesterday is forever gone, tomorrow may never come, today is the day of all days.

On 10/25/2011 2:56 PM, Jonathan Godfrey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> R is updated about every other month.
>
> The latest version 2-13-2 is no different to versions since 2-10-0
> from an access perspective.
>
> Versions prior to that used a different mechanism for getting help
> which was equally useful but differently managed.
>

> Once you have it installed (using the default settings is fine) you
> need to alter the short cut to point to rterm.exe instead of rgui.exe
> and you are away laughing.
>
> Jonathan
>
> At 01:07 a.m. 26/10/2011, you wrote:
>> Hello,
>> In case I can get my Professor to let me use r, is there a particular
>> version I need to look for?
>> thanks,
>> greg W.
>>
>> Yesterday is forever gone, tomorrow may never come, today is the day
>> of all days.
>>

>> On 10/24/2011 5:02 PM, Jonathan Godfrey wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Michael is correct in that the current version of Minitab is not as
>>> friendly
>>> as previous versions.
>>>
>>> I have used Minitab from version 8 (under DOS) to 16 and over that
>>> time (17
>>> years) things have got worse.
>>>
>>> The dialogue boxes and menus are an absolute nightmare for the new
>>> user. I
>>> can get by because I remember the menus from previous versions.
>>> Having said
>>> that, I do not choose to use Minitab for anything except talking my
>>> students
>>> through things so I'm not actually touching it, they are.
>>>
>>> The command language of Minitab is usable with jaws or nvda. The
>>> language is
>>> far from natural and the resources for such commands are mostly old
>>> (dating
>>> back to the DOS version where we all typed commands out). Most staff
>>> working
>>> with Minitab do not know the syntax even though it is automatically
>>> generated as the dialogue boxes are used.
>>>

>>> The number of outputs that have been altered from text to graphic in
>>> Minitab
>>> is on the rise too. There were ways of generating ASCII graphics for
>>> most
>>> things in the past, but this art has been lost in more recent versions.
>>>
>>> Should you want an alternative that is superior to EXCEL, I could
>>> recommend
>>> R. See