[Blindmath] Reading and Writing Math: LEAN versus MathSpeak

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Sun Apr 15 19:55:32 UTC 2012

Ryan there are elegant ways to browse complex equations, for example Raman's
ASTER LaTeX reader and the MathGenie MathML reader created by Art Karshmer's
South Florida group.  Frankly when I read a long equation using speech, I
get lost pretty quickly no matter how it is represented, so I need to browse
it.  LEAN is not as elegant as a true browser like ASTER or MathGenie, but
it is about the best one can do using a standard screen reader in a standard
application.  At least I hope so.

It is possible to represent math fairly compactly with very few special
symbols - by using lots of parentheses for example.  The University of
Karlsruhe developed an ASCII way to represent math back in the early days of
DOS.  It was the best that they could do at the time.  It is fine for simple
math but gets lost in a blizzard of parentheses for complex things.  Same
for the linear format available with the Microsoft Word math editor.  So I
have tried to take a middle path between defining too few and too many
special symbols.  Since it is usually easier to drop than to create, I've
chosen to err in defining too many.  At least I hope so.

In any case, the answer to your question is that fractions, square roots and
indexed root, and table markup is pretty clear. Subscripts, etc. follow the
Latex convention of requiring no special enclosure if they are single
characters.  Otherwise, they are enclosed in "expression" indicators.  There
are presently many user options permitting one to display equations more or
less verbosely.

Not sure I have answered your question.  If not, ask again.

John