[Blindmath] Help with Algebra 1 student requested

Julian, Kate KJulian at bluevalleyk12.org
Tue Feb 7 15:09:14 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am supporting a student in Algebra 1. We are getting into more complicated equations and he is getting lost. He prefers to use his vision and the computer for math, we have tried using his BrailleNote and Nemeth code, but he prefers the computer.  The following is how he would complete setting an equation to y:

-3x + 2y = 12
-3x + 3x + 2y = 12 + 3x

After this step, he gets mixed up and when assisted will write this:

2y = 12 + 3x
2y/2 = 12/2 + 3x/2

Here he will often drop negatives and/or forget a term. For me, I too would get lost.

Is there another way for him complete this work? He actually does the work in MathType and then pastes his work into a Word document. We have tried using Math Window, but that too is tedious and he may not take it home. He is unable to handwrite anything. We have tried having him use a screen reader, as he often relies on his memory and makes mistakes, but the screen reader does not work well with MathType.

Help, we are about to go into solving equations with variables on both sides of the equal sign and systems.

Thanks - Kate

Blue Valley Schools - Education Beyond Expectations
This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and intended solely for the use of the intended recipient.  Any review, reliance, disclosure, copying, dissemination or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.  Further, the sender accepts no responsibility for any damage caused by any virus, spyware, malware, or other malicious code transmitted by this e-mail.