[Blindmath] Results of Using the Perkins

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 9 21:26:05 UTC 2012

Let's leave speech out of this.

Let's say you want to enter a mix of braille text and Nemeth braille math
that a sighted person can read.

Here's one way to to do it on a notetaker.  Enter the text in uncontracted
braille except use the dot-7 capital letters on your notetaker instead of
using capitalization indicators and the computer braille punctuation marks.
For example, enter dots-46 for a period.

Enter the correct braille cells for Nemeth math.

Proofread and edit your braille file as necessary.

(You can also do the same thing from a regular keyboard.)

Save the file as a "plain braille" file.  Do NOT convert it to a print file.

Send the file to a sighted person to display in Word or their favorite
editor using any standard print font they want.

They will immediately be able to read the text since it will look like
regular text to them.  If they spend 15 minutes studying my page I've linked
to before, they will be able to read the Nemeth math as ASCII characters.
This is a lot easier than reading LaTeX source.  If blind people can learn
to understand  LaTeX source then sighted people with no knowledge of braille
can certainly learn to understand Nemeth math displayed in ASCII instead of
being converted to fancy print math.  Here's the link once again:
http://www.dotlessbraille.org/readnem.htm

I do not understand why everyone is making something so basically simple be
so complicated.

SusanJ