[Blindmath] To all you blind physics experts

Louis Maher ljmaher at swbell.net
Fri Feb 10 23:41:59 UTC 2012

Amanda,

I did Braille out the book pages for the next day's lesson, both words and
equations, and bound them in three-ring binders.  Usually I did not take
them to class.  I would listen to the lecture, and try to keep up with what
was being written on the board.  My professors and classmates were very
understanding for I had a Perkins brailler to take notes in class.  The
professors were willing to be trained to talk as they wrote, and to not use
pronouns such as this and that.

Brailling the book was very time consuming, and added an extra couple of
hours to each day.

I had some sight at that time, and I turned in my homework using a heavy-led
pencil and two inch high letters.  The homework was mostly math and not
words.

I used a typewriter for non-mathematical courses.

You will be slower than your counterparts; however, eventually you can get
it done.

Regards
Louis Maher
713-444-7838