[Blindmath] Version 0.0.1 of ShapeExtractor02 is now availablefordownload

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Thu Feb 16 17:37:33 UTC 2012

This is a very interesting discussion.  I did some investigations similar to
what Dick is doing last year with a Tiger embosser.  In the Tiger tab there
are controls for contrast and brightness, adjustable from 0 to 99.
(Actually negative values are available too, but they seem not to be
useful).  These controls have been in ViewPlus printer drivers for years but
are undocumented because of exactly the same problem Dick is encountering.
They can be very useful, but I can find no reliable statistical way to
predict what the best setting should be.  By trial and error, one can
certainly sharpen up images and bring out features, but unless a sighted
person does it, it is very tedious.  Actually it is pretty tedious anyhow.
I like Dick's slider that can make instant adjustment.  I hope we can
incorporate this into ViewPlus printer drivers eventually.

I should also mention that I have worked on a simple automatic way to
convert color into tactile patterns.  We will put this experimental method
into a printer driver soon as a user option.  I really like it - it does a
beautiful job of differentiating things like color sections on pie charts.
It may or may not be useful for understanding the portrait of Mona Lisa.

J Gardner