[Blindmath] measuring angles

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jan 3 18:47:10 UTC 2012

In addition to what has already been said, measuring angles is a way to gain an understanding of what is
meant when an angle is expressed in terms of degrees.  Understanding what is meant when it is said that
a ramp has a ten degree incline, that something is five degrees above the horizon, that a cliff has an
incline of seventy degrees, is useful information even outside of school.  In my mind, the degree to
which a student actually places and operates a protractor is less important than the student having an
understanding of what is being measured.  Perhaps I missed it, but knowing where the specific problems
are being encountered might help us make more meaningful suggestions.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson