[Blindmath] How useful is a GUI to blind users?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sat Jan 7 23:06:57 UTC 2012

The only thing I would add to this is that tools like autocad, cisco routers
and computer algebra systems are all tools aimed at people who probably have
training in them or would be expected to spend time learning the tool. There
is nothing in itself wrong with this, however you should consider whether it
is what you want/expect of users of your tools. As an example, while cisco
routers may use command line tools, many of the consumer routers for home
use have web interfaces, there is an expectation that for home users it
isn't exceptable for users to learn about how to manage a network before
they can get a wifi system working, the manufacturers want it that anyone
can pick it up and get going quickly. Also probably the home user would not
want such an advanced system as a cisco router used by some businesses,
therefore it can be acceptable to miss out features which aren't needed and
so meaning the user has fewer options which they may set wrongly. In
comparison those who do need the extra power probably will not find the time
to learn the system is a waste as they may very well need all features
offered and so will make use of all knowledge gained.

Michael Whapples