[Blindmath] How useful is a GUI to blind users?

David Tseng davidct1209 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 22:49:09 UTC 2012

Hi Richar,

In many ways I agree with your assertion that command line
environments provide a superior experience for many daily tasks. This
line of thinking fits well with the linux mindset and nicely
circumvents the pitfalls of accessible GUI design which in my
professional experience, is a neverending struggle. Getting pieces of
software to talk to one another is always a challenge and if you
consider the combination of platforms, assistive technologies,
graphical toolkits, the points of failure today are numerous.

With that said, the level of accessibility for GUI's on Windows and
Mac has reached a sufficient level where if you use common controls
and an established GUI toolkit, you will do just fine. These controls
expose additional information to consumers like screen readers who
then in turn can properly present the application in whatever form it
chooses. The trick is attaining a familiarity with this interface and
making sure that whatever framework you use (WX, SWT, Swing, Winforms,
Cocoa, etc etc), the proper symantics and data gets conveyed. There is
then adding keyboard access, which at a very high level, means making
your GUI work if you threw away your mouse.

Finally, as for reasons why to go through this additional work, this
accessibility infrastructure not only serves the blind, but many other
assistive technologies. Speech recognition systems, for example, use
the hierarchy exposed by your UI and potentially match speech against
the textual labels presented by your application retrieved via an
accessibility interface. A person with motor impairments might use
keyboard only and thus rely on a different workflow than your typical
mice depedent user. Some aspects of full keyboard access can be
controlled via accessibility API's, but it's usualy considered a
standard feature with varying levels of work for the developer
depending on what tools you use.

There is also the point of colaboration. If the application is used in
a class setting, a work setting, or in a group of any sort, the
disabled user should be able to take advantage of the group, the
sighted documentation, the resources online for help, etc. It also
remains a problem that when apps written specifically for the blind
come out, they receive very little attention from mainstream
developers and thus, eventually, lag significantly behind in terms of
features, documentation, stability, etc. I've seen this happen for
Windows app's, iPhone app's, and many other platforms. The only
instance where this isn't true for me is when the assistive technology
shares almost all of the interface with the primary user (ala emacs).