[Blindmath] How useful is a GUI to blind users?

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 22:38:36 UTC 2012

Hello

A few thoughts on this.
Richard, I very much applaud your enthusiasm to help think outside the
box and implement solutions.
Sure, I have not used your software yet (I am doing web accessibility
programming these days, but plan to go back to school, when I will
need all manner of math solutions), but it is genuinely refreshing to
see someone interested in making a difference in this field, someone
other than the "usual suspects".
I think the concern with cross-platform compatibility may be overblown.
If you look at webAIM's screen reader user survey (I don't have the
exact url, but if you go to www.webaim.org and there should be links
from there), you see that an overwhelming number of screen reading and
screen magnification users are Windows users. If you go to "power
users" who need more advanced computer processing, you'll see a big
drop in Voiceover users. Unless something has changed drastically from
when I did a comparison, VoiceOver still does not a particularly good
job of dealing with spreadsheet editing, programming and more advanced
things such as math. Besides, users who rely on software to do other
things, such as emboss braille, are still mostly confined to Windows,
software like Duxbury or MathPlayer are not cross-platform yet, and I
have no heard anything to indicate this is about to change
drastically.
I am in no way "pro Windows", I just use what gets the job done and I
am happy with more choice, but it seems logical with limited
resources, to reach the maximum number of users who will benefit, and
I still think Windows is the platform to go with.
If you decide to go "command-line" you need to study how Jaws and
other screen readers work in the interface. I find screen readers
slow, sluggish and annoying in that environment, and I avoid it at al
cost, even as someone who grew up using Dos and someone who did a lot
of Linux scripting and programming a few years back (again, take it
for what it's worth, as one guy's opinion).
Simulating a command-line style dialog in a Windows app might work
differently, as you can still utilize the power of screen readers with
the ease of editing and other things that we've gotten used to.
I used an app called Gauss back in 2003 and it was a Windows app, but
with a comman line style prompts and syntax, and I quite liked it.
Not sure I could dig it up today, but worth a try, though I'd have to
find out exactly what version I used, since it could've changed
drastically.
Cheers
-B