[Blindmath] Homework for College Class

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 25 17:34:55 UTC 2012

This might help with the lack of docs:

http://www.googleguide.com/calculator.html

Website: www.SinaBahram.com
Twitter: @SinaBahram

-----Original Message-----
From: blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blindmath-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Richard Baldwin
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:14 AM
To: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics
Subject: Re: [Blindmath] Homework for College Class

Not being blind, I don't bring any credibility to this discussion. However,
I will point out that if you enter the following expression into the Google
search box

(1/(2/3)^2

Google will send back the following, which can be very handy.

*1 / ((2 / 3)^2) = 2.25*
*Of course, as computer programmers know, it would be best to write the
expression as follows in the first place to avoid ambiguity:*
*
*
(1/((2/3)^2)

*It is truly amazing what the Google search box can do in terms of
evaluating mathematical expressions if you format them properly. It is a
serious scientific and engineering calculator. The biggest weakness is
little or no documentation.*
*
*
*Give it a try.*
*
*
*Dick Baldwin*
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:25 AM, Ben Humphreys <brh at opticinspiration.org>wrote:

> Amanda,
>
> I've been loath to use parenthesis because of the comprehension complexity
> when more than a few end up in a single equation.
>
> Towards the end of my last math class though, brackets [] were
> "reintroduced" to me  to differentiate between parenthesis for simplicity.
>
> You could even use {} as well.
>
> In other words,
>
> [1/(2/3)[^2
>
> is easier to understand than
>
> (1/(2/3)^2
>

> Ben
>
> At 10:06 AM 1/24/2012, you wrote:
>
>> Ben,
>>
>> Do sighted professors understand 1 // 2/3 without explanation? I use
>> 1/(2/3) to make sure anyone can know what I meant.
>>
>> Amanda
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Humphreys" <
>> brh at opticinspiration.org>

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/**options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/**mehgcap%40<http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/mehgcap
%40>

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/**options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/**readtobuil<http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindmath_nfbnet.org/readtob
uil>

--
Richard G. Baldwin (Dick Baldwin)
Home of Baldwin's on-line Java Tutorials

Professor of Computer Information Technology
Austin Community College
(512) 223-4758
mailto:Baldwin at DickBaldwin.com
http://www.austincc.edu/baldwin/