[Blindmath] Extracting bitmap images from pdf files

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Wed Jan 25 20:34:19 UTC 2012

It looks like the free online pdf to html converter at
http://www.pdftohtml.net/ will get the job done.

There are a couple of required steps that are probably not accessible by a
blind student, but at least if the student has a sighted assistant to
extract and crop the image files, the student can convert them to enhanced
sig files or enhanced  svg files and emboss them.

In case anyone is interested, I attached a zip file that contains two sig
files. Each sig file represents one half of an enhanced version of a bitmap
file extracted from a physics book. If you have access to an embosser that
will accept sig files as input, emboss each file and lay them side by side
to create the entire embossed image.

Parameters were set set for 8.5-inch page width at 12 dpi. If your embosser
has a different page width or dpi value, you should still get an output but
some of the output may not fit the page. The output also assumes that the
embosser is equipped with continuous-form tractor-fed paper and can emboss
across the page perforations to produce embossed images that are longer
than 11 inches. If your embosser doesn't operate in that mode, I don't know
what will happen to the bottom portion of the embossed image.

Considerably more detail could be preserved by enlarging the tactile image
and producing additional side-by-side panels, but there is a trade-off
between more detail and the practical aspects of handling tactile images
that are 2, 3, 4, or more pages wide.

This is an image of a battery showing the plates on either side, the
positive and negative ions in the solution between the plates, the + and -
poles at the top of the plates, etc. Not a great image, but probably useful
as a supplement to the description of the image in the textbook.

Dick Baldwin