[Blindmath] Accessible documents - alternate text in LaTeX

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Mon Jul 16 22:15:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've pondered this question myself when preparing accessible
statistics course material.

Through careful construction of batch files that process latex files,
I am creating documents that look good as html (used online) and pdf
versions suitable for printing out by sighted students.

The html is readable by the blind students I've worked with. As it
happens, I also make xml files that then work with MathPlayer for
even better access to formulae. At this point in time, I have not
needed to use alt tags in the html as I can get by with the use of
the \caption command to get what I want.

The key is that I use a different main file for each format, with
differing preamble commands to get the styles I want. The actual
chapters of the resources I create are kept separate from these main
files. Each main file pulls in the chapters using the \input command in LaTeX.

When it comes time to needing an alt tag, possibly when this
functionality becomes part of the pdf documents LaTeX creates, I will
see how these alt tags are created. In the meantime, if I was to put
extra information into the documents I intend to supply to blind
students, I would create a new command for use in my figure and table
environments. Call it \ExtraText for now.

Having used the \ExtraText command when I create a figure or table in
the chapters, I would then need to tell each main file what to do
with that command. For the documents going to sighted users, the
command would do nothing. For the document distributed to blind
readers the text could be printed inside the figure or table
environment. If LaTeX ever gets to inclusion of an alt tag command,
all I'll need to do is to redefine the \ExtraText command so that the
content gets pushed into the alt tag command instead.

The documents referred to above use this style of working to achieve
other ends not relevant to this discussion so I am confident the
above suggestion is viable. I can already see how I can generate the
extra text required for my own situation with less human intervention
and more automated generation of the text, but that relies on use of
R statistical software and its Sweave functionality.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan

_____
Dr A. Jonathan R. Godfrey
Lecturer in Statistics
Institute of Fundamental Sciences
Massey University
Palmerston North

Office: Science Tower B Room 3.15
Phone: +64-6-356 9099 ext 7705
Mobile: +64-29-538-9814
Home Address: 52 Linton St, Palm. Nth.
Home Phone: +64-6-353 2224 (Just think FLEABAG)