[Blindmath] questioning on authoring math

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Jun 18 19:12:59 UTC 2012

Hello,
Both LaTeX and chattyinfty are options. Possibly LaTeX would be seen as
the more serious choice if you were doing a significant amount of math
authoring and has the advantage that its generally very popular amongst
mathematicians and scientists so you probably could easily get help with
it (probably someone within a university, loads of information and user
groups on the internet, etc). Also the math part of LaTeX notation is
quite popular for input in other software tools, eg. MathType has a
LaTeX input mode and many blogs and wiki's will accept maths input in
LaTeX notation.

Chattyinfty I think probably has a lower learning curve. I haven't
personally used it but that is the impression I get.

Another option you might want to consider is MathType from design
science used within word, you can get MathType to toggle between
equation objects and LaTeX notation. One of the big advantages here is
that you only need to learn the math part of LaTeX and you can use word
features (which you probably are familiar with) for the rest of the
document. One disadvantage is that this will tie you to using windows,
probably not much of a problem but if you are one interested in Linux or
Apple Macs then this is possibly is not for you, LaTeX might be a better
choice.

There are other editors out there such as LAMBDA but I don't know how
good they are and as you didn't ask specifically on them I won't try and
answer, I will leave it to others who know those editors better to
describe them.

As for the infty reader, it I think is about the only working solution
for OCR of maths, other things are being researched but I don't know
when they will be user ready.

Michael Whapples