[Blindmath] problems reading PDF scientific documents

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Jun 19 11:47:03 UTC 2012

Hello,
I only really know about the question about diagrams and powerpoint.

On the diagram stuff there are many tools and many research projects.

Probably the most significant for drawing are the packages for LaTeX,
you will have a choice of various packages, some general drawing
packages others being specific to certain types of drawing. Also if you
choose to use LaTeX for writing documents then this will fit in very
well for including diagrams in documents.

One very popular package for LaTeX for drawing is PGF/TikZ, this is a
general package but many packages for specific drawing types build on
this. I think TikZ has a circuit library anyway. For a quick
introduction, no where near covering all capabilities of TikZ, you may
want to look at the LaTeX wikibook (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX)
which has a chapter on PGF/TikZ.

However here are two other packages for LaTeX for circuit diagrams,
circuitikz and circ. Doing a google search for the package name
(probably also with LaTeX) should give useful results for learning about
those packages.

Other accessible tools for drawing I think are more general or are not
specific to circuit drawings. However some of the more general tools may
still be useful. I know that Richard Baldwin made some tools for
creating SVG diagrams, if you go back through the list you probably will
find links to them.

Another alternative might be IVEO from ViewPlus but then you are talking
quite a bit of money, however IVEO could also provide help with reading
diagrams as well.

Also I know some here have mentioned using the voice
(http://www.seeingwithsound.com) to view diagrams (both printed and on
the computer I think). I personally never really managed to get on with
the voice, but I can see value in it if you can learn to use it. How
complicated the diagram can be before its too hard to understand with
the voice I don't know, others might be able to give better advice.

Finally I will mention a research project, I think they have a prototype
out, and while they haven't focussed on circuit diagrams may be they
would be willing to look at supporting them if you were willing to work
with them and give feedback. Anyway the website for that project is
http://ccmi.eecs.qmul.ac.uk

Now to the powerpoint stuff, or may be more accurately electronic
presentations. I personally have not used powerpoint so don't know much
about it. If for diagram creation and document authoring you were to go
with LaTeX, an obvious extension might be to do your presentations in
LaTeX. There are a number of packages for doing this, beamer is the one
I know about and one of the more popular. With beamer you write your
document in the same way as any other LaTeX document, inserting commands
to tell it where slides begin and end, information about overlays, etc,
and then you compile to PDF. When you give the presentation, you open
the PDF in adobe reader, change to full screen mode and move by pages to
change the slide.

How to follow what you are presenting when doing the presentation is
something you may need to work out for yourself. Some have said one
problem with beamer is that the output is not accessible to them, that
is not too much of a problem for me as I don't like using a screen
reader while presenting, its too easy to have awkward pauses while you
listen to what the computer speech is saying, so normally I have
Brailled notes to hand.

I hope this helps you.

Michael Whapples