[Blindmath] braille image tool handout

John Miller johnmillerphd at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 27 22:54:03 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have a handout available at the NFB Research and
Development meeting in Dallas.

I am pasting the contents of the handout below.Contact me at johnmillerphd at hotmail.com with any questions.

The handout contains output from the Braille Image Tool.

A statement of the problem is to look at a paper bull’s-eye
after an archer has shot a number of arrows into it.

We say the archery system had little distortion if the holes
made by the arrows are clustered together in the center of the bull’s-eye.

The archery system has distortion if a hole is made at the
edge of the bull’s-eye, if the holes are spread out, or if the holes are
translated away from the center of the bull’s-eye.

The examples provide some descriptive text followed by a
grayscale image.

The grayscale image begins on the line after the text
has_distortion.

In the braille image, letters early in the alphabet describe
the positions likely to have  no hole
made by an arrow.

Letters late in the alphabet correspond to positions likely
to have a hole made by an arrow.

Example 1 describes a situation where the arrows are at the
center of the bull’s-eye, clustered tightly together, and no hole was made at
the border.

In this example, has_distortion is set to 0.

Example 2 describes a situation where the holes made by the
arrows are spread out.

In this example, has_distortion is set to 1.

Example 3 describes a situation where the holes made by the
arrows have been translated to near the edge of the bull’s-eye and there are
holes on the edge of the bull’s-eye.

In this example, has_distortion is set to 1.

Braille Image
Tools Examples

John Miller

July 1, 2012