[Blindmath] grayscale braille

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Mar 21 12:20:18 UTC 2012

Thanks for that, it just sparked of a logical way of assigning in my mind.

However before discussing the system, may be quick thoughts on colours and
how someone who cannot see relates to them. I have seen a little in the past
so do understand what colours are and can imagine what a colour might be
like if someone can start from a point I know and then describe how it
varies (eg. darker, a bit greener, etc). However if I don't have a decent
start point close to where we need to get I can actually struggle a bit to
understand what it might look like (eg. I am getting an artificial eye, I
get to choose my eye colour how great, however when discussing it I was
struggling at times to know what colour precisely we were discussing and
whether it suits me as I have never seen well enough to pick out eye
colours). So I guess my thought is simply, colour in tactile diagrams will
only be useful for area identification rather than to convey how something
visually appears.

Back to how to show colour in a tactile form. We will stick with your 27
levels to start with. Each row of the Braille cell (6 dot cell) could
represent each colour, and the number of dots on that row tells you the
level for the colour. Lets just assign the rows logically, RGB, top, middle
bottom rows respectively.

Now the above also fits with your previous suggestion of filling up the cell
means more intense and the overall view of the cell relates to that.

However may be at the cost of loosing that relationship of more dots more
intense, we could actually extend up to 64 colours by using the position of
just one dot on a row (left or right side of the cell) so allowing each
colour to have four intensities.

Whether 27 or 64 is needed I don't know, in either case its still an
improvement over what sighted people had with computers back when I started
with a BBC micro (8 or 16 depending on what computer system you went with).

Out of interest, having discussed how colours are represented, what was 256
colours about on some of the early windows computers, 256 is not anything
raised to the three.

Michael Whapples