[Blindmath] Life After Images

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sat Mar 24 20:04:59 UTC 2012

Pranav I think you hit what I meant by saying if we process an image
differently might we reach wrong conclusions as to what the diagram
represents.

As a side note, a clock face I probably would guess correct as there are
certain properties you didn't describe I would be looking for (eg. one line
should be a bit shorter than the other, the shorter being the hour hand,
there probably will be some sort of markings around the edge of the circle,
probably 12, the markings may or may not be numbers or roman numerals, the
position of the two lines should be related to each other in some way (eg.
if the minute hand points straight down then the hour hand must be half way
between two of the markings), etc).

As for the drawing of a torus I mentioned in the LaTeX wikibook, I only knew
it was meant to be a torus because it said so (may be I could have guessed
but I could easily have got the wrong answer), but once I knew I was dealing
with a torus I was certainly able to recognise it and position which way up
it was and so on.

I remember participating in the feel free study on tactile diagrams, there
was a question of describe diagrams and one was of a picture (possibly a
piece of art) and I totally got the objects shown wrong. In that case no
context was given, however if context were to have been given I might have
understood what objects were present.

Michael Whapples