[Blindmath] Issues with electronic math files and screen readers/braille displays

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu May 10 10:17:28 UTC 2012

While Niel and design science are one of the few companies which are
making effort in making maths accessible, I still have a bad feeling
that entirely relying on electronic form for tests may end up not being
a good move for those who use screen readers or Braille, probably
particularly for those who use Braille.

As an example, mathplayer which makes maths in a web page (math included
in the MathML format) accessible to screen readers, does it by creating
a string describing the equation in words and presenting that to the
screen reader. While it may speak it OK, the problem is that it isn't
easy to navigate through should the person reading need to find a
specific part of the equation and the Braille display will only show
words of the equation rather than proper Braille maths (eg. Nemeth
notation).

As an example of what I mean, take the equation a/b=c, MathPlayer will
show this to a screen reader as:
Fraction ay , over b end fraction equals c
That will be what one would read on a Braille display when using
MathPlayer and what one has to cursor through if you wanted to find what
is on the bottom of the fraction.

While it may not be too bad for such a short example, think what it can
get like with longer equations (eg. even the quadratic formula).

Other solutions tend to make use of the LaTeX notation to make maths
accessible, and if you don't know what that is then it sort of proves
what I say as a draw back to it, it requires people to know the LaTeX
notation to be able to understand the maths and for some LaTeX isn't the
right solution as they don't have much maths to deal with and so the
investment of time to learn LaTeX is not worth it. Also LaTeX was not
really designed as a reading notation (its really a document preparation
language) and I feel sometimes the effort to understand the LaTeX
notation while reading can get in the way of understanding the maths,
others may disagree with this.

Sorry if I sound a bit negative, I hope Niel can come up with something
suitable and its also good you are asking while there is some time to
get it sorted.

Michael Whapples