[Blindmath] Issues with electronic math files and screen readers/braille displays

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Thu May 10 12:09:56 UTC 2012

If and when (cheering on Neil), we can make MathPlayer work insideof
MS Word, at least then we are in a position where you can simply
emboss the file (given that the MathML to Nemeth convertion is of
sufficient quality), and have a paper copy of the exam next to you in
braille.
That way you hae access to braille and speech from the same document
(as opposed to the current process of having to expert it to a
web-page and then read it, which just adds complications to the set
up).
Not perfect, perfect would be to have on-the-fly translation to the
braille display to go along with the reading of the equation as well
as shorcut keys or other convenient ways to explore the equation one
part at a time (a pat being only material inside a given entity such
as a fraction, square root, integral or parenths).
Ok, we could take it further and say perfect would be a multi-line
braille display or simply a cure for blindness, but I mean perfect
within a realistic near-term goal.
I have a hard time working with LaTeX notation, it's simply to
unwieldy and wordy for longer problems, but at least I can work with
it if I have to and it is better than nothing.