[Blindmath] Issues with electronic math files and screen readers/braille displays

Noble,Stephen L. steve.noble at louisville.edu
Thu May 10 15:55:22 UTC 2012

Smarter Balanced takes the recorded audio route. They have a human reader read all the math expressions and link in the audio. That is certainly better than nothing, but it leaves a number of problems that would not be present if they actually took the time to use MathML. And to be honest, I would not be surprised if they were actually spending a lot more money making all the recorded audio than they would be if they just spent the time creating the MathML.

- One thing about recorded audio, of course, is that there is no braille access. Using MathML you get audio output PLUS braille without having to spend and extra dime.
- Using MathML you also get great screen enlargement for the math since the expressions are not images. The expressions won't become degraded on the screen as you enlarge them, plus you can change font and and background colors on the fly...something which is impossible to do with images.
- Also, for speech users, you can change how the speech is rendered based upon the needs of the student. For instance, Nemeth braille users can hear MathSpeak simply by switching the output style in the software...just a simple click. But that speech isn't something you want to use with LD users. For example, MathPlayer 3 lets you select the intended target user and so get the kind of speech that works best for the student's disability. When recorded audio is used, you only get "one size fits all."

--Steve Noble