[Blindmath] Texas Instruments Graphing Calculator TI84 Plus

Tim in 't Veld tim at dvlop.nl
Mon May 21 15:47:47 UTC 2012

Rosanne,
I don't know about the US but here in the Netherlands the TI84 is the
standard in secondary school and it forms an integral part of our
mathematics curriculum (the books contain exercises which guide student
through the calculation on the TI84). As you are probably aware it is
not accessible for visually impaired students and that is a major hurdle
to take in secondary school. Accessible, easy to use alternatives would
certainly make life a lot easier for many secondary school students.

There is no accessible TI84 alternative that I know of. The audio
graphing calculator by Viewplus technologies (http://www.viewplus.com)
can perform many TI84 functions but is not a full replacement and has
not been updated for many years.

When I was in secondary school I did without a graphical calculator. I
could usually perform calculations using quick calculator (a very old
software scientific calculator) and Excel. I don'tt think I missed much,
the graphical calculator is just a tool which is not at all necessary to
understand mathematics to say the least (the first lesson for freshmen
in most science faculties is to leave that device home). But that's just
my personal opinion.

Tim