[Blindmath] From MathML to CML (and Nemeth)

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Tue May 22 19:27:54 UTC 2012

this peaked my interest. I'm not sure I agree with this premise that presentation MathML is more appropriate, ever. It is more
conventional. It is more common. It is easier to create. Etc. However, more appropriate might be going extremely far.

My humble understanding of Nemeth as a computer scientist and blind user of it, as well as some wonderful conversations with its
creator, is that it allows for the semantic mapping, into Braille, of mathematics. This mapping is not necessarily bidirectional as
the process is sometimes lossy; therefore, a presentation based view is rather inappropriate, I'd say, respectfully, because
presentational would most likely imply a one to one mapping; whereas, a semantic mapping, one based on definitions, meanings, and so
forth, is necessarily much more appropriate, and definitely harder to accomplish, but what I believe Nemeth's goals to be.
Furthermore, isolating Nemeth into the presentational domain, I believe, underestimates it's power in conveying the meaning of the
mathematics being represented.

Take care,
Sina

Website: www.SinaBahram.com