[Blindmath] From MathML to CML (and Nemeth)

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 22 22:51:43 UTC 2012

Sina,

I was basing my comment to a large extent on what Dr. Nemeth himself wrote
in his article in "Braille Into the Next Millennium" and had no intent to
minimize the significance of Nemeth.  My great admiration for Nemeth braille
is one reason I'm spending so much time and effort trying to oppose BANA's
plans to drop Nemeth in favor of UEB.  A quote from Nemeth's article appears
after my signature.

SusanJ

The Principle of Meaning Versus Notation

In my view, it is the transcriber's function to supply only notation, not
meaning, in an accessible form (speech or braille).  It is the reader's
function to extract the meaning from the notation the transcriber supplies.
Consider the common notation: (x, y).  That notation can mean many things:
the ordered pair whose first component is x and whose second component is y;
the point in the cartesian plane with abscissa x and ordinate y; the open
interval on the real line with left endpoint x and right endpoint y; or the
greatest common divisor of x and y. ... To this end, the Nemeth Code does
not require the transcriber to be concerned with meaning.