[Blindmath] High School Graphing Accessible Standards and Options

Noble,Stephen L. steve.noble at louisville.edu
Tue May 22 21:48:52 UTC 2012

Hi Mary,

I appreciate you taking the time to relay this level of detail about the challenges your son is facing while trying to study math in high school. Since my research focus is devoted to mathematics accessibility, I always value these perspectives as they further educate me on the day-to-day realities which students (and parents) face.

One thing I note at the end of your message is what you refer to as "a standard Math Talk language" used by visually impaired students. I think you are actually referring to MathSpeak, not MathTalk. MathTalk is an application for dictating math with the voice, which is made by a company called MetroPlex. MathSpeak, on the other hand, is a reading convention or "speech rule" which is based upon the way Nemeth braille code is written. Here's a brief intro to MathSpeak: http://www.washington.edu/accesscomputing/articles?321

The MathSpeak speech rules have been integrated into a few math-to-speech computer technologies, such as the Design Science MathPlayer 3 plugin for Internet Explorer and the gh ReadHear digital talking book reader. You can find more about these technologies at:
http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/
http://www.gh-accessibility.com/software/readhear-pc-0

If I can be of any help along the way, just drop me a line or give me a call.

Best regards,

--Steve Noble
University of Louisville
steve.noble at louisville.edu