[Blindmath] Math Teaching Techniques

Ryan Thomas rlt56 at nau.edu
Fri Nov 9 04:38:56 UTC 2012

Dear Arielle,

   Yes, it can be very visual.  A lot of statistics is.  Firstly I've
made powerpoints.  You can do most ona powerpoint that others would do
with a chalkboard, even allowing answers to appear as you work through
a problem.  You can make graphs and insert them into your slides.
I've drawn things on the board before, but I'm never sure how
effective that is.  When I've taught in a room with a whiteboard I've
made graphs on the surface with wikisticks.  That's useful because it
allows me to feel the drawing and add lines with a dry erase marker or
other wikisticks if I wish.
   You can also do a lot of class participation exercises.  Students
can come up and draw on the board.  Then you can talk it out with the
class.  What is correct, what might be lacking.  Even without having
them describe it to you, just a few leading teacherish questions give
a very clear idea as to whether the graph is correct or not.  I've
also come in with crayon drawings I've made on my screenboard and I've
given them to different students, had them draw those figures on the
board and talked about the properties of each graph.
   Finally, I use worksheets too.  Sometimes they're strictly
problems, but other times they may include a couple topics to learn
and work on as we progress in class.  You can add figures to those
like you would in slides.  They can also draw on the worksheets and
see what you've done.  Other instructors may have good resources like
worksheets that are already made.  Those are what I can think of at
the moment.  I hope that's somewhat helpful.

Sincerely,
   Ryan