[Blindmath] Math Teaching Techniques

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Fri Nov 9 02:40:23 UTC 2012

Hi Arielle et al.,

I've just finished a semester where I taught sections of three different
statistics courses. A first year course with over 350 students studying both
on and off campus, and smaller classes at advanced undergraduate and
postgraduate levels. The way I tackled each class was different because of
the audience I was dealing with.

My lectures for the first year class were recorded for the use of those
students off campus wich had an impact on the way I delivered those
lectures. Generally, my style is heavily interactive. I might list the
things we want to look for in a histogram and then expect the class to
decide what that means for the data sets provided. Let them be my eyes is a
useful classroom tool. Of course, I already know and can recall from the
notes I keep on hand what I expect to hear.

The first time a course is run is the hardest. My preparations for the
lectures probably take me twice as long as my sighted colleagues, but the
second time I do almost nothing. For example. Preparing lectures for the
first year class I taught from 2005 to 2011 probably took me 6 or 7 hours of
preparation for every hour of class time. When I delivered those lectures in
2011, I could read the slides for the hour of lectures I would be delivering
at 9 o'clock while I was in the taxi on the way to work at 8:45. (It's a 7
minute drive to work by the way) My point is that any time you spend in
preparing for lectures is not a short term investment. It may take years to
reap the rewards.

There are too many other issues you might want to discuss that I can't
address in a single email message. Do keep asking questions but make it
easier to help by keeping them specific when you can.

Jonathan