[Blindmath] Magnified or Screenreader-magnifier enabled LaTeX editors. Also Screenreaders/Magnifiers enabled for Mathematica.

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Nov 14 17:31:23 UTC 2012

As you have stated the use of ZoomText, I will constrain my answer to
editors I know which work on Windows, why have to go through the process
of learning a new OS, screenreader and editor when just changing the
editor might work. obviously if the student is interested in using other
computer environments then this may be another case which they may want
to consider when trying Linux or a Mac (there are certainly accessible
options for those platformss as well).

First to mention probably is TeXnic center. I have a memory that a
couple of settings need changing to get best results, but I cannot
remember what those settings are. As I remember it did seem to be quite
a good option and seemed to work well with various screen readers. Also
it is an editor specifically designed for writing LaTeX and I believe is
quite powerful.

Second to mention is Eclipse and the texlipse plugin
(http://texlipse.sf.net). Eclipse is a more general editing tool,
probably best known for writing Java applications, but it supports many
plugins to allow it to be used for other things, one being LaTeX with
the texlipse plugin. Eclipse is quite accessible out of the box, but may
be confusing due to it having other uses than just LaTeX editing and so
having many options which one need not bother about. Once one gets used
to it then its pretty good.

The third I will mention is edsharp
(http://empowermentzone.com/EdSharp.htm). I don't know how well its been
designed to work with magnification but certainly has good speech output
support (it can do self voicing if no suitable screen reader is
installed). I have not found it to be as powerful as other editors can
be, but may be I never quite got it properly set up for editing the
documents I was dealing with. Its probably still worth a look though.

I will briefly mention that some of the editors like emacs and vi/vim do
have versions for windows, but I don't know how well these will work
with ZoomText. I am only acknowledging their existence as they can be
popular with some people (particularly those with unix backgrounds), but
I am not going further as they do work in quite a different way to most
Windows based applications and so can have a bit of a learning curve.
Something for if other alternatives do not work or if one has an
interest in these particular editors.

Michael Whapples