[Blindmath] Matlab

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Mon Apr 15 04:44:55 UTC 2013

Dear List,

                Thank you for all of your helpful replies.  I had been using Jonathan Godfrey's website for the evaluation of SAS and R already, so it was a real joy to read his comments here, as well as everyone else's.

                I knew that graduate programs in economics routinely used Matlab, but I guess it isn't for statistics.  Graduate programs in economics (good ones, anyway) involve theory coursework that requires working knowledge of multivariable calculus, differential equations, and some real analysis.  It might be that they use Matlab for that.  I will do my best to learn some Matlab for this purpose, but I now understand that Matlab isn't really a big player in the statistical arena.

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
B.A. in Mathematics
Class of 2012
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu<mailto:president at alumni.ecu.edu>

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."    -MARGARET MEAD