[Blindmath] Statistics Courses

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 23:18:05 UTC 2013

For an intro-level course I would recommend either using Excel or
using a free online calculator called GraphPad Quickcalcs:
www.graphpad.com/quickcalcs/

Both Excel and GraphPad will be able to perform all but the most
advanced procedures used in an intro-level course, and at least for
psych stats, calculations are usually done by hand at the intro stage
anyway. GraphPad also includes some built-in educational materials
which will help you interpret the statistics it gives you.
If you are taking multiple stats courses or planning to analyze your
own data, then it might be wise to learn R, SAS or SPSS. R is both
free and accessible, but it has a steep learning curve. SPSS is easier
to learn, but less accessible and it is not free. SAS is fully
accessible, moderately easy to learn and is not free.
If you are doing your own research you can probably get disability
services or your department to buy the license for SAS or SPSS, or you
can learn R. Anyway, I don't recommend using specialized software
unless you are planning to study statistics for more than one semester
or doing your own research. If you are just taking one course for a
requirement, and not getting past the intro level, then Excel or
GraphPad will be fine.

Arielle