[Blindmath] [Blind math] Statistics Courses

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Tue Apr 23 00:08:46 UTC 2013

Arielle et al.,

I agree with the main point in your message. Yes a student taking a single
course in statistics should be using whatever gets the job done the easiest.
If that means using Excel then so be it, but many of the add-on packages
that university courses use are not so easily used in practice.

With respect to your comments about learning curves, I think the steepness
of any learning curves must be linked to the person's own experiences. I
just finished teaching a statistics module to engineering students with R as
our main software. The effort required for those students was fairly minimal
because they have had experience with similar software and some programming
coursework to call on. I would have struggled to teach them much had we
tried to use SAS instead. I see many instances where a postgrad student is
told to use a particular software tool by their supervisor and end up
wishing they hadn't. All too often I see the damage done when people use SAS
when a simpler option would have served them better.

As yet, I don't see many people in the same boat having been forced to use
R. Time will tell of course because I believe that once the supervisors
start to use R instead of other options, the same problems will eventuate.

The problem for any intending statistics student is that we meet every
access problem students can ever face. Courses use printed texts,
inaccessible online teaching environments, inaccessible software, and blind
students who lack sufficient braille will struggle to write anything down
for themselves that their lecturers can read. Much of our work is conveyed
in non-textual form and reading the work of others and checking our own is a
nightmare. I could go on...

Jonathan