[Blindmath] Accessible math in Wikipedia using MathPlayer

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Tue Aug 6 22:02:27 UTC 2013

If you mean that you can't arbitrarily navigate a math expression, that's
not implemented yet.  I do understand that is a problem and hope to have a
solution in a few months.  You can however walk around the linear string of
words used (in NVDA, the default key binding for that is numpad 4 and 6),
so you can do some review.  It's not great, but better than nothing.  In
any case, hearing the math is vastly better than hearing gibberish or
nothing.

I just tried NVDA and have two warnings to give:
1.  When NVDA loads a page, it asks MathPlayer to translate every bit of
math on the page before it will start reading the page.  I think it may do
that 2 or 3 times, so a page load is REALLY, REALLY slow for pages with
lots of math.  Go out and get a cup of coffee or get some exercise :-)
I'll file a bug with the NVDA folks.

2.  NVDA doesn't ask for the "smart" speech (speech geared towards the TTS
voice).  So MathPlayer adds "." and "," to get some pausing.  By default,
NVDA tries to speak some of these.  I recommend setting speech to not speak
the punctuation (it's under voice settings).

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~