[Blindmath] How to study Maths using a computer...

Vincenzo Rubano vincenzorubano at email.it
Sun Aug 11 15:01:03 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm Vincenzo, I'm 19 and I am blind. In september, I'll start attending a computer science degree course at University of Bologna, in Italy (I'm italian :-)).

Until now, I've always used a computer at school to study any subject, except for Maths which I've only studied using the traditional Braille and other paper-based supports. Now, in order to study Maths efficiently at university, I need to switch from the way of studying Maths that I am used to, to a computer-based way of doing it.

I know that LaTeX and MathML exist and what they are used for. Teachers at university have already said that they will provide me with all the material written in LaTeX and I think that this is great. But, what tools would you recommend me to use to read LaTeX? And, what should I use to do an exercise and deliver it to the teacher?

Since I am mostly a Mac OS X user, I'd really love to get something working with Mac OS X and Voiceover; however, I won't have any problems using Windows and a screen reader in a virtual machine.

Also, is there anyone who studied/is studying computer science at university? What problems regarding Maths did you encounter/are you encountering? And, eventually, how did you solve/are you solving them?

Thanks in advance for your replies! :-) Help is really appreciated.

Cheers,

Vincenzo.

 Sponsor:
 Hotel La Sirenetta di Rimini Promozione di Agosto in all inclusive a euro 55 a persona, servizio spiaggia, bevande ai pasti, soggiorno minimo di 7 gg
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid032&d-8