[Blindmath] Survey regarding perceptions of stereotypes about blindness

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 25 21:12:28 UTC 2013

Dave,

The below is presented as research, not reporting. This was exactly my
point. You just took your anecdotal experience and those that you have heard
from others that you associate with, extrapolated to a larger group based on
this knowledge, and then appeared to completely dismissed a counterexample
presented to you. this is why we don't do research in this manner. Your
beliefs are completely and utterly irrelevant from a scientific point of
view. So are Ken's, and so are mine. The facts are what should matter, not
the preconceived or pre-held notions that any of us bring to the table.

The below study, in my humble opinion, however, appears to encapsulate the
concerns and experiences that you just laid out, without actually bothering
to ask the question, or cite the overwhelming evidence of, the underlying
claim.

Is there even a control group in this study? For example, is the researcher
controlling for race, language ability, physical appearance, behaviors,
etc.?

If you, as your email implies, already accept the claim that stereotyping
goes on, then you, by definition, must admit the pointlessness of the
research because you already accept the claim. Note, I'm not claiming the
research is pointless, by the way. Alternatively, if you approach it
scientifically whereby one does not assume, even despite overwhelming
personal experience, then one can generalize any facts that are learned,
using statistics and other evidence-based techniques, to a larger
population. Of course, then subsequent questions, which may address policy,
advocacy, and other such things can be asked and such research could be
useful in laying down the groundwork for those studies without having to
prove all over again that the stereotyping exists.

I'd love to see a study of whether self-reported stereotyping is higher
amongst individuals who claim that stereotyping occurs and those that either
have no opinion or do not claim this to be true. After all, if one controls
for the various confounds, then it would be fascinating to see a
correlation, or lack thereof, between those audiences e.g. if you expect
something to happen, then will it, or in more scientific words, a form of
confirmation bias.

In fact, the below research could easily fold in such a research question.

Take care,
Sina

Twitter: @SinaBahram
Website: http://www.SinaBahram.com