[Blindmath] perspective and the blind

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 5 15:04:09 UTC 2013

I call it feelization.   People are often amazed that I can move around
the kitchen and put my hand on familiar objects without feeling for
them. But anybody can do that. A common test for drunk driving is
whether you can put your finger on your nose.  Assuming you're sober,
you probably can put your finger on your nose. You know where your toes
are without looking. My guess is that this ability is the same as the
common IQ test where they show you a picture of a box with mmarkings on
it and you have to pick from a selection of unfolded boxes that would be
the same. And I'm guessing it's also the same talent as keeping a map of
your neighborhood in your head. I'm guessing all these abilities are
basically the same talent.

So the artist has essentially learned to translate that into a diagram
sighted people will recognize.