[Blindmath] thoughts on a PIAF please

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Mon Feb 4 22:01:59 UTC 2013

Hi Brian, the Tiger embosser should give quite a bit higher resolution than
swell paper, not the reverse.  I guess I should write an article for
access2science.com on optimizing Tiger graphics.

I don't understand your statement that "everything is a texture".  You can
certainly optimize line art in various ways.  One is to use black lines
about 2 to 3 points wide and default settings.  These are thicker than
average lines, so there is also a "thin line intensity" setting in the Tiger
tab.  The higher the number the higher the dots for thin lines.

One more bit of advice.  Much art seems to have slightly off-white
background, and by default this embosses with low dots on Tiger.  If you set
the Tiger tab contrast setting to a small integer, you can make these light
textured areas disappear without changing much of anything else.

I'm always happy to give advice on optimizing those graphics.  Expertly
used, there's no way a PIAF can compete with Tiger in information density!

Be well.

John Gardner