[Blindmath] Mplus success story

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 02:44:13 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Just wanted to share that I learned to use MPlus (software for
analyzing structural equation models, and I think it can also do more
traditional regression) and I found it to be extremely accessible with
JAWS, even more so than SAS. I could easily enter and edit syntax, run
it using a simple menu-based command, and then read the output
directly in the output window and move between input and output. I
also never had to use the JAWS cursor! It might even be possible to
run analyses in MPlus by using the menus rather than syntax, though I
haven't experimented with that yet. Anyway, I would recommend it to
any blind folks looking to do regression-based analyses. I used a free
demo version, which allows input of up to six dependent variables and
up to two independent variables, so this wouldn't be ideal for
multiple (non-structural) regression. But there may also be temporary
licenses available that are more forgiving.
I had someone help me a little bit with syntax, but many syntax
examples are available online, and the command structure is very
intuitive. For example, to regress Y on X you would simply write
(after specifying your datafile and variable names), "model: y on x").
Best,
Arielle