[Blindmath] LaTeX

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 14 23:49:02 UTC 2013

Hi Jamal and others,

I'd like to point out that Nemeth braille is a domain specific language
(DSL) for reading and writing math and technical text in a compact and
consistent form.  One advantage of Nemeth is that there is generally only
one correct way to write a specific item whereas that is not the case for
LaTeX or MathML or the myriad of other linear systems for technical
material.

There have been numerous different flavors and subsets of TeX and LaTeX
since the release of TeX 35 years ago.  Persons wishing to use LaTeX already
have too many options; I would not be in favor of developing yet another
one.  Moreover, it seems highly unlikely that there could ever be a
one-size-fits-all method  for braille users who find it necessary and/or
preferable to publish documents for print users rather than to outsource
this function.

By the way, modern parser generators such as ANTLR are designed to make it
straightforward to build in thorough checking for syntax errors just as is
typically provided by computer language compilers.  So I don't see any
technical reason why it isn't possible to use parser technology to
accurately interpret Nemeth braille automatically.

Sincerely,
Susan Jolly