[Blindmath] Seeking collaboration

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Tue Mar 5 23:45:24 UTC 2013

Kyle,

I used to work at Wolfram and my first attempts at making accessible
software was getting the notebook frontend to be accessible.  I got 80% -
90% of the way there for the text editor and math editor, but the company
didn't want to pursue it and I believe my efforts were long ago purged from
the code.

I think that making Mathematica accessible would be huge because it is so
powerful.  However, it is a massive undertaking that would include making
the text editor and math editor accessible, and also working on making the
incredible graphics that Mathematica can produce be accessible.  They don't
all need to be done at once though.

Or you could start smaller and push to get at least wolframalpha to be
accessible.  Get rid of the images and use MathML for the math and SVG for
the graphics.  The technology to do that already exists at WRI -- you just
need to convince the powers that be that using it so that they have an
accessible website is worth doing.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~