[Blindmath] Audio Calculus WAS Re: relearning calculus

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 21 15:24:03 UTC 2013

Yeah, I think this visualization thing is the key. It depends on what
you do for visualization and how good you are at it. I have been blind
for about 20 years and have gradually lost my ability to visualize
things in the traditional sense. But that ability has been replaced with
something I sometimes call feelization.  I have a sense of space rather
than a picture. It's like how you know where your arms and legs are
without looking at them. They test if you are drunk by making you touch
your finger to your nose. You can do something like that with geometric
shapes and even matrices.

I once poased a mathematical puzzle to the whole Math department here.
What is the biggest circle you can make from a 4 by 8 piece of plywood
by cutting off one end and gluing it to another edge so that your circle
extends into that piece you glued on. This is a real world problem. I
was making a poker table and thought 4 feet would be too small. Even
after I explained to people what I wanted to do by taking a piece of
paper, tearing off the bottom 2 inches, and sticking it to the side, so
they could see the circle could extend into the piece I tore off, they
had difficulty seeing the solution.

The anser, by the way, is 5 feet. There is a trick to figuring it out
that seems obcvious to me. But some people who are way better at math
than me didn't see it. And I attribute it to the fact that I'm picturing
it in space, not on paper.