[Blindmath] MyMathLab and inaccessible etext

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed May 15 05:05:25 UTC 2013

See my comments below. My comments are general, in the US I do not know
what the legal situation might be on whether you could push some of the
points.

On 15/05/2013 04:05, Andy B. wrote:
> I am taking a college algebra class at school. The entire class is done in
> MathLAB including the textbook. Unfortunately, I cannot get the textbook in
> a usable format for screen readers; I use JAWS 14 and Windows 8. I told the
> school to request MathML, but the publisher said that the only format they
> have is an unlocked pdf file. I do not trust these pdf files for math
> because JAWS reads left-to-right and top-to-bottom. Considering the
> following things, what should I do to successfully get my math credit?
You are right to question PDF, at the moment PDF and math is not accessible.

> 1.       I was required to buy into the class and textbook before having the
> ability to evaluate the accessibility of the textbook.
One would hope that then support will be given, probably this really
should come from the school as they put together the course but the
publisher might be able to help when it comes to the book.

While not really what you want, if they really cannot make it accessible
then one would hope the course fee could be refunded.
> 2.       The school cannot get the textbook in a usable format
Depending on the circurmstance then the school may have an
responsibility (may be a legal responsibility) to make the course
accessible, this might involve them getting the book transcribed to a
different format. In my view it does not matter the publisher does not
have another format available, the school should have considered this
when choosing their course books if they did not want the task of
getting it converted to an accessible format.

While it comes at a price, one might try putting the PDF through
infty-reader which will do OCR on the math and may be a starting point
for a MathML version. The school may consider buying it for you.
> 3.       The publisher claims the textbook is online, and there is no screen
> reader usable format to give.
I would almost bet money that it was not created originally in PDF.
However it does not mean the original format would be accessible. While
not necessarily my preferred option, but some do ask publishers and
authors for LaTeX copies, but I know publishers can be reluctant to give
LaTeX versions, I have heard authors tend to be a bit better.
> 4.       The school cannot change the textbook because it alters the very
> nature of the class.
This is an understandable position, however depending what effort is
needed to support you they may in future wish to investigate
accessibility of a book before designing a course around it.