[Blindmath] Math Conversion Software

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 3 20:45:00 UTC 2013

Developing software to convert print math to Nemeth braille math or to back
translate Nemeth braille math to print is a very, very difficult problem
that many talented people have spent many, many years attempting to address.
This problem is, in my opinion, way beyond the capabilities of a single
person.

The international standard electronic representation of mathematics is
MathML which is part of the EPUB3 standard.  I highly recommend that anyone
interested in converting print to braille start by reading the book "EPUB 3
Best Practices" by Matt Garrish and Marcus Gylling.  Garrish helped develop
the EPUB 3 standard and used his expert knowledge of the issues involved
with braille translation to ensure that EPUB 3 provides the information
necessary to produce accessible documents in braille, large print, speech,
and other formats.

If you are unfamiliar with MathML, my article titled "Positive Impacts of
EPUB3: MathML and Braille Mathematics" might be a helpful start.
http://www.dotlessbraille.org/mathmlandbraille.htm

Computer back translation of braille to print requires parsing.  There  are
many textbooks and articles on lexical analysis and parsing. I found the
book "The Definitive ANTLR Reference" by Terence Parr to be a very helpful
introduction to computer-based translation as well as to the ANTLR parser
generator but there are many alternatives.

Best wishes,
Susan Jolly