[Blindmath] IOS7 and math support

Susan Osterhaus osterhauss at tsbvi.edu
Sat Oct 5 04:48:48 UTC 2013

Warning! Kevin, thanks for the link. However, if you have upgraded to iOS
7, I would advise against setting the render to MathML. I tried that, and
a window appeared asking me if I really wanted to do that and asked me to
select Cancel or OK. The window froze on top of the webpage and would not
respond to either Cancel or OK. Closing Safari and reopening it did
nothing, as the window just froze everything. I had to reboot my iPad to
get rid of it. I think this is an iOS 7 bug, as it has already done other
strange things to me. However, if you don't attempt to change the
rendering, VoiceOver will read the math. I don't like the way it read the
math, and it often substituted minus, minus, minus,... but at least it
made an attempt. I'd very much like to know if it reads simpler math more
easily or if it does a worse job. I also was unable to do any navigation
on the math on this webpage following Michael's instructions. Michael,
could you give us the webpage that you were successful in using?

Susan